A call for proposals for Semester 2018B (August 01, 2018 to January 31, 2019) has bot issued by the Gemini Observatory. The Call for Proposals can be viewed at: Call for Proposals
The deadline for the receipt of Canadian proposals is:
Tuesday, April Trio, 2018, Four pm (Pacific Daylight Time)
Note that not all Gemini fucking partners have the same deadline and those involved te snaak proposals need to submit their proposals by the principal investigator’s (PI) country’s deadline.
Canada will have access te 2018B to a total time for PI programs of: 200.6 hours on Gemini North and 185.1 hours on Gemini South.
The instruments available on Gemini-North are GMOS-N, GNIRS, NIRI (imaging only), NIFS, and Altair (now with NGS and LGS ), and on Gemini-South are GMOS-S, Flamingos-2 (te imaging and longslit mode only), GSAOI and GeMs, and GPI. Please raadpleging the target accessibility pagina for significant information concerning the RA (right ascension) confinements for each muziekinstrument. Many visitor instruments are also suggested te 2018B (subject to request). On Gemini-North: GRACES, ALOPEKE (fresh Speckle camera providing both diffraction limited and wide-field imaging), and POLISH-2 (high precision polarimeter). On Gemini-South: DSSI (Differential Speckle Survey Muziekinstrument) camera, and Phoenix (high resolution near-infrared spectrometer).
To see more details about each of the instruments available for 2018A, please see the Gemini Call for Proposals.
What’s fresh te 2018B
- Targets will generally be limited on Gemini-North to 17 <, RA <, 13.Five and -37 <, dec <, +90, and on Gemini-South to 16 <, RA <, 12 and -90 <, dec <, +28. Please consultatie the target accessibility pagina for specific RA confinements for some instruments,
- The Gemini-North Laser Guide Starlet AO system is now available for science te 2018B., with its fresh Toptica Laser, and can be used with GNIRS, NIFS and NIRI.
- Visitor Instruments suggested on Gemini-North are:
- GRACES, the high-resolution R=67500 optical spectrometer,
- POLISH-2, a high-precision polarimeter is open to the community via collaborative proposals with its PI,
- ALOPEKE, a new-generation Speckle camera. This is a dual-channel visual camera providing both diffraction-limited and wide-field imaging,
50000-80000 near-infrared (1 to Five microns) echelle spectrometer.
Other things to note for 2018B
- The Priority Visitor Mode is now expanded and will be suggested to Liaison 1 programs (not only Large and Long Programs). Significant: Please indicate your rente ter the Technical Vormgeving portion of the proposal,
- Chance extended: Bring one, get one! Ter 2018B the Gemini Observatory will proceed to subsidize, with up to US $Two,000, the travel expenses of individual undergraduate and graduate students visiting Gemini-North or South, when accompanying a senior observer,
- All proposals for Rapid Target of Chance (RToO) follow-up voorwaarde submit a separate proposal for Standard Target of Chance follow-up (SToO) ter conditions better than SB/CC/IQ=Any, if such follow-up is planned,
- Poor weather and Director’s Discretionary Time proposals can now be submitted at any time via PIT directly to Gemini (bypassing the Canadian Time allocation Committee (CTAC)). Rapid Turnaround proposals can be submitted at all times with a deadline at the end of every month.
Canadian astronomers vereiste use the Gemini Observatory Phase I Device (PIT) to prepare and submit their proposals. The fresh version of PIT for Semester 2018B vereiste be downloaded from the PIT installation webpagina.
A fresh “Real Vormgeving” section has bot added to give more space to the proposal description. The science justification, positivo vormgeving and technical justification are now to be entered te a spandex opstopping (or doc verkeersopstopping if using the Windows version of PIT). Also the PIs are now strongly encouraged to include the output from the Muziekinstrument Time Calculators te the PDF. See the PIT pagina to download the fresh PIT. Please download the spandex/doc/sty template files to write the proposal.
For Canadian proposals, please use the default GemPhase1.tex, GemPhase1_18B.sty and GemPhase1.doc template files. Please permit reserve time to familiarize yourself with the fresh PIT, and consultatie the help pages for the fresh PIT, which includes movie tutorials.
Te addition, please note that with the fresh PIT, a single proposal may now request time from either or both of Gemini-North and Gemini-South (it is no longer necessary to submit two separate proposals, however please indicate te the technical section how much time exactly is requested from each of Gemini-North and South).
Users will submit their finalized proposals from PIT, the proposals are sent electronically to Gemini and then retrieved by the Canadian Gemini Office (CGO). The CGO will be ter charge of the technical assessment of the proposals, which will then be reviewed and ranked by CTAC.
All gegevens will be subject to the ordinario Gemini proprietary period of 12 months.
Please go after the instructions ter the spandex/doc files:
- Scientific justification: one pagina (excluding references, see below).
- positivo vormgeving: one pagina
- technical justification: one pagina
- up to two reserve pages for references, a maximum of three figures, and figure captions